Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Fairy Tale

It started pouring rain
as the band got ready to pack the van
You and Figgles smoked a cigarette

I wandered barefoot
through every available puddle
in sidewalk divets and street gutters

I spread my toes
over the fat sprawling roots
of that one big tree in the front yard
So I could look up
through the protection of leaves
at big heaving drops
and swirling skies

You came out
and put your hands on my shoulders,
pulled me close,
and kissed me in that falling rain

It felt as good
as rolling in the grass with my first boyfriend
between Ted's fence and the Masonry
in a warm July storm

In that same way that makes me feel new
over and over again
as tiny fantasies
emerge before my eyes
in real life

Like when we searched through surf
for the most perfect tiny pebbles
enclosed in liquid membranes

in and out waves crash on us
like hormonal surges
in my young pickled brain
I could just keep my lips here forever

remembering what if was like to be new

to be hopeful

to be joyful
in every moment

I get my hands on you

No comments:

Post a Comment