Thursday, January 30, 2014

I Forget

My hippocampus is shrinking
That much they know for sure
But, I'll never get lung cancer
and I hear it spurs fetal development
even if, I've lost some words

Orion is in the sky again
marking the time when my life split in half

a miserable host to a light
still stands on her shores
caressing places I might have been;
Back in my old school
promoting the arts
and teaching Fred Rogersism
to children in revolutionary fashion.

It's kinda like how
I look in the windows
to see where they put the furniture now
and I linger along the fence
half expecting to see
friends smoking cigarettes,
drinking coffee,
painting alley furniture,
climbing trees,
and kicking up dirt.

I walk past the place
where the plants are blessed
and the wind viciously insists
I pick up these bone thugs tracks

I go to stand in the circle
where, we all have bleached hair
and smoke cigarettes
I think about the time
I looked in the mirror,
happy and eager for rain
to make everything new,
and I cut my hair
just to give proof
and wander barefoot,
unburdened.
cleansing wet amber
beneath a street lamp

I wrote about it
on the front of an antique school desk
while the band played a 40 minute set
riffing on feedback

And on my walk
I tried hard to resist
working just to recreate a moment;
snow falling softly against an old Gothic church
Train whistles blow
and downtown barely glows
over the highway's horizon;

I didn't even let go to sink into the silence
I just pressed upon my mind
to savor each detail
filing them away
to recapture this perfect present
for a moment when I was not
quite so near to
happiness,
gratitude,
stillness.

I try hard sometimes
to keep a moment forever
As if I could stretch it
until it covered all the obligatory
and necessary
and adversity
in between.

Like,
A sky way cascading pinks over the bay.
A firework missed as I close my eyes and we kissed.
Empty nerf magazines left me no reason at all
not to stay pressed against a wall
Sunset dims on fairy mountain
as we sit in the dirt and we trip.

But you know

Mostly I just forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment